- 1 cup chickpeas ( kabuli chana)
- 1 tea bag or 1 tbsp black tea leaves tied in a cheesecloth
- 21/2-inch ginger, 3/4th of it shredded finely for garnish
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, finely crushed
- 2 green chilies, sliced
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 - 1tsp red chili powder or as per taste
- Salt To Taste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- finely chopped coriander leaves
Soak Chole in water overnight or for about 6 hr.
Cook the chole with salt and enough water in the cooker for about 20 minutes or till fully done.
Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
Finely chop the remaining ginger. Heat oil and sauté onions till golden, then add garlic and chopped ginger and green chilies. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder and sauté over low heat until the oil separates.
Add chole, the reserved cooking liquid, salt and half of the coriander leaves. Simmer, uncovered until the liquid has been absorbed.
Add a pinch of garam masala and serve pindi chana sprinkled with the remaining garam masala, coriander leaves and shredded ginger.