- oil- 5 tblsp
- asafoetida (hing) a pinch
- green chillies - to taste
- cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- fenugreek seeds (methi) - 1 tsp
- gram flour (besan / chane ka atta) - 6 tblsp
- coriander/cumin powder- 1 tsp
- turmeric powder (hadli)- a pinch
- mixed vegetables (carrots, ladyfinger, brinjal, drumsticks, bottle gourd)- 2 cups/200 gms
- tamarind (imli) pulp - 2 tblsp
- salt (namak) - to taste
- coriander leaves (dhania patta) - 2-3 sprigs
Heat oil in a pan.
Add asafoetida and after a few seconds, add the chopped chillies, cumin and fenugreek seeds.
Allow them to stop spluttering, then add the gram flour, stirring continuously.
Fry it, till the flour becomes brown in colour and aromatic.
Add around 5-6 cups (1 lt.) of water, stirring continuously to avoid forming lumps.
Cook on a simmering flame for at least 15- 20 minutes and then, bring it to a boil.
Stir in the vegetables and the spices.
Add the tamarind pulp and cook further, till the vegetables become tender.
Add the salt and garnish with chopped coriander.