VEGAN KEEMA NAAN WITH KEEMA LENTILS2018-04-26
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped see step 1
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup peas
- 3/4 to 1 tsp sage
- 3/4 tsp garam masala or 1/2 tsp garam masala and 1/4 tsp baharat (from Everyday Kitchen Book)
- a generous dash each of cinnamon cardamom, nutmeg and black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1.5 cups cooked lentils
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste divided
- 1 tsp soy sauce use coconut aminos to make without soy
- 1 to 2 tsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 pizza bases
- vegan mozzarella
- cilantro, onion and pepper flakes for garnish
Process the onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic , a good pinch of salt, and cook for 4 minutes or until golden.
Process walnuts and carrots in the same food processor until a coarse meal. Add to the skillet and cook for 3 mins
Add peas, cooked lentils, spices, sauces, and mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Add cilantro and a good splash of water and mix in. Cook for another minute if using over pizza (keep the mix wet-ish), and another 2-3 minutes to dry out to used as taco filling. Taste and adjust salt, flavor.
Spread the lentil mixture over shaped Naan dough or pizza dough or premade naan. Add some thinly sliced veggies like tomato, onion, peppers or jalapeno. If you bake them on a dough (i.e longer time), then do top the the mix with additional veggies as the lentils can tend to dry out.
Add dollops of vegan mozzarella or other cheese and bake to melt the cheese. 8 to 15 minutes depending on if are using premade naan or unbaked dough.
Garnish with chopped tomato, onion cilantro and serve. If mozz was omitted, use chutneys or creamy dressing of choice and serve. The lentil keema mix can be made ahead and used in various ways.