- 1/4 cup whole Bengal gram (black chana)
- 1/4 cup whole green gram (green moong)
- 1/4 cup black-eyed beans (chowli dal)
- 1/4 cup moth beans (matki)
- 1/4 cup dried peas (suka vatana)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 4 small round red chillies (boriya)
- 1 teaspoon green chilli-ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind pulp (imli)
- 1 tablespoon jaggery pulp (gur)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt ot taste
Wash the pulses and soak them in water overnight.
Next day, drain and pressure cook the pulses in 2 cups of water.
Heat the oil in a handi, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and stir for a while.
Add the small rounds chillies and green chilli-ginger paste and fry for a few seconds.
Add the cooked pulses, tamarind and jaggery pulp and salt.
Mix well and simmer for a few minutes.
Serve hot with chapatis or rice.