- 1/2 cup split Bengal gram (chana dal)
- 1 tablespoon split black gram (urad dal)
- 2 to 3 red chillies
- 1/2 tablespoon tamarind pulp (imli)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns (kali mirch)
- 2 teaspoons grated jaggery (gur)
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
Heat the oil in a pan and roast the chana dal and urad dal till they become golden brown.
Add the red chillies and fry for 2 minutes.
Add the tamarind, peppercorns, jaggery and coconut and fry for a while. Cool for some time.
When cool, grind with salt to a smooth paste, adding a little water if needed.
This chutney is used to make Mysore Dosa. A thin layer is spread on the inside of the dosa.